Roasted potatoes are 100% my go-to dish.
No time to cook for dinner? Roast potatoes and serve with some beans and green onions and I call it a meal.
Too busy for lunch? Roasted potatoes.
Too hungover on a Sunday to make breakfast? Roast some potatoes and call them hash browns.
I love them any time of day and they always fill me up without leaving me feeling heavy. For once though, I wanted to do something a little different. And wanted to get some greens in with my beloved taters.
These are so delicious and I suppose you would call them a healthier version of the uber fattening potato skins. The cheese sauce is really spectacular and is a cinch to put together. Feel free to using russet potatoes, I’m just partial to the red variation!
5 large red potatoes
2 broccoli crowns, chopped into florets
2 shallots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
Crushed red pepper
All purpose seasoning, sea salt and black pepper to taste
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp brown rice flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pierce each potato with a fork and place on a baking sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half
- For the cheese sauce, cook olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for one minute
- Add milk, flour and nutritional yeast and whisk together well
- Reduce heat to low-medium and continue whisking until the sauce thickens and then remove from heat
- In a frying pan, cook the crushed red pepper in olive oil over medium heat for one minute
- Add shallots and cook 8-10 minutes or they turn slightly brown
- Add broccoli, all purpose seasoning, sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 more minutes stirring frequently
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes
- Stuff broccoli/shallots into potatoes and top with cheese sauce